Publisher Information: 1901.
With Original Spectrogram Annotated by Stark & Becquerel
Stark, Johannes (1874-1957). Group of 15 offprints and 1 spectrogram, as listed below. Various sizes. V.p., 1901-8. Most with original printed wrappers. Very good (see below for individual condition statements). From the library of French physicist and Nobel Laureate Henri Becquerel (1852-1908) and his family, with characteristic gummed labels on front wrappers / first leaves of all but one of the offprints. Boxed.
First / First Separate Editions. A collection of papers from an especially productive period in Stark's career, during which he discovered the Doppler effect in canal rays (1905), a phenomenon he took as confirmation of Planck's quantum theory. Stark received the Nobel Prize in 1919 for this achievement and for his discovery of the splitting of spectral lines in an electric field (1913)--the "Stark effect," which was later incorporated into both quantum and wave mechanics. He was one of the most effective early advocates of quantum theory, publishing a large number of papers on the subject, and founding the Jahrbuch der Radioaktivitat und Elektronik in 1904 to spread word about new developments in physics, particularly particle physics.
Several of Stark's papers published after 1907 were on various applications of Planck's quantum relation (e = hn), which he used "in particular, in connection with his views on atomic and molecular structure to explain the properties of series and band spectra and the fluorescence of organic substances. At the same time he continued, together with Wilhelm Steubing of the University of Greifswald, to do research on the Doppler effect of hydrogen canal rays"(Mehra & Rechenberg I, p. 103). He remained in the forefront of research in this area until 1913, when he inexplicably turned against both quantum theory and the general theory of relativity.
A highlight of the present collection is an original hydrogen spectrogram (found laid into paper no. 11; see below) labelled by Stark in ink with the symbols "Hb," "Hg," "Hd," "He" and "Hz" denoting various groups of spectral lines. Stark's 1905 discovery of the Doppler effect in hydrogen canal rays had made him quite famous among physicists: Mehra and Rechenberg cite a 1908 letter to Stark from Sommerfeld in which Sommerfeld asked for "a spare spectrogram [i.e., a photograph showing the structure of the line emitted by hydrogen canal rays] which I would like to use in my lectures, but more importantly for the purpose of converting myself definitively to Planck's fundamental hypothesis" (Mehra & Rechenberg, I, pp. 101-2).
This collection of materials is from the library of Henri Becquerel, who may have made a similar request of Stark. At the top of the spectrogram is Becquerel's note "J. Stark Phys. Zeitsch. 7 355-361 1906," a reference to Stark's 1906 paper, "Zur Kenntnis der Bandenspektren" (not included here). Among the offprints in the collection are papers on electrical conduction in gases (Stark's main field of interest), spectroscopy and the Doppler effect in canal rays of both hydrogen and oxygen. Twentieth Century Physics I, pp. 148, 154. Mehra & Rechenberg, Hist. Dev. Quantum Theory, I, pp. 99-105.
1. Das Gesetz des Kathodenfalls. Offprint from Phys. Zeit. 2 (1901). 4pp. Without wrappers (as issued?). Gummed label on first leaf. Creased horizontally.
2. Uber die Beziehung zwischen Kathodenfall und Stromstarke. Offprint from Phys. Zeit. 3 (1902). 2pp. Single sheet, without wrappers as issued.
3. Ueber Ionisierung von Gasen durch Ionenstoss. Offprint from Ann. Phys., 4th series, 7 (1902). 417-439pp. Orig. ptd. wrappers, gummed label on front wrapper.
4. Ionentheorie der elektrischen Selbstentladung. Offprint from Ann. Phys., 4th series, 7 (1902). 919-931pp. Orig. ptd. wrappers, gummed label on front wrapper.
5. Nachtrag Uber die Gultigkeitsgrenze des Ohm'schen Gesetzes. Offprint from Ann. Phys., 4th series, 7 (1902). 932-934pp. Orig. ptd. wrappers, gummed label on front wrapper. 6. Uber die Entstehung der elektrischen Gasspektra. Offprint from Ann. Phys., 4th series, 14 (1904). 506-538pp. Orig. ptd. wrappers, gummed label on front wrapper.
7. Elektrischer Massentransport in Gasen, Druckerhˆhung an der Kathode. Offprint from Boltzmann-Festschrift (1904). 399-409pp. Orig. ptd. wrappers, gummed label on front wrapper.
8. (with L. Cassuto). Der Lichtbogen zwischen gek¸hlten Elektroden. Offprint from Phys. Zeit. 5 (1904). 6pp. Lacking wrappers. Gummed label on first leaf. Creased horizontally.
9. Versuche uber die Entstehung des Banden- und Linienspektrums. Offprint from Nachr. k. Gesell. Wissensch. Gottingen 3 (1904). 8pp. Orig. ptd. wrappers, gummed label on front wrapper.
10. Stand der Forschung uber die Elektrizitat in Gasen. Offprint from Jahrb. d. Radioaktivitat und Elektronik 3 (1905). 48-61pp. Orig. ptd. wrappers, gummed label on front wrapper.
11. Uber polarisierte Lichtemission bewegter Atomionen senkrecht zur Translationsrichtung. Offprint from Verh. Deutsch. Phys. Gesell. 8 (1906). 104-110pp. Orig. ptd. wrappers, gummed label on front wrapper.
12. Photograph of hydrogen spectrum, labelled in ink by Stark (see above), with pencil annotations by Becquerel: "J. Stark Phys. Zeitsch. 7 355-361 1906."
13. (with S. Kinoshita). Uber ultraviolette Duplets des Zinks, Kadmiums und Quecksilbers und ¸ber thermisch inhomogene Strahlung. Offprint from Ann. Phys., 4th series, 21 (1906). 470-482pp. Orig. ptd. wrappers, gummed label on front wrapper.
14. Uber die Spektra des Sauerstoffs (Doppler-Effekt bei Kanalstrahlen). Offprint from Sitzungsb. k. Preuss. Akad. Wissensch. 28 (1908). 554-577pp. Orig. printed wrappers, gummed label on front wrapper. Some spotting & dampstaining.
15. (with W. Steubing). Uber die spektrale Intensitatsverteilung der Kanalstrahlen in Wasserstoff. Offprint from Sitzungsb. k. Preuss. Akad. Wissensch. 28 (1908). 578-585pp. Orig. ptd. wrappers, gummed label on front wrapper.
16. Bemerkung zu Herrn Kaufmanns Antwort auf einen Einwand von Herrn Planck. Offprint from Verh. Deutsch. Phys. Gesell. 10 (1908). 14-16pp. Orig. ptd. wrappers, gummed label on front wrapper.Book Id: 36702